At the Golden Triangle BID, we are dedicated to supporting our community. In the face of challenging times, our small businesses, first responders, service industry workers, hotels, medical professionals, teachers, and so many more continue to serve the neighborhood. We want to continue to give back to those who have kept our community safe and strong.
The “Golden Getaway” campaign gives back to five deserving individuals by offering curated staycation packages that showcase the best in hospitality that the Golden Triangle has to offer.
Here’s how it works:
Nominate Your Neighborhood Hero
Tell us about someone who has served your community and why they deserve a staycation in the Golden Triangle. Nominate anyone in the DMV area who works in, but not limited to, food and beverage service, education, healthcare, hospitality, first response, or other essential fields. The nomination period is now closed. Congratulations to the winners!
Celebrate Deserving Winners
Judges, comprised of the below neighborhood champions, select five winners to be awarded one of the incredible staycation packages below.
Support the Golden Triangle Community
Throughout the campaign, learn more about and support businesses in the Golden Triangle community. We’ll be featuring participating businesses, including at the bottom of this page and on social media. Follow us to stay updated!
Golden Getaway Judges
Thank you to the distinguished panel of judges below who volunteered their time to select the final five winners. Winners were selected based solely on the submitted nominee stories.
Golden Getaway Winners
Congratulations to the five winners! And thank you to everyone who nominated a deserving member of their community. We were inspired by all of the incredible stories of everyday people doing extraordinary work for others.
Dr. Ida Bergstrom
As the medical director of Farragut Medical and Travel Care, Dr. Ida Bergstrom has worked tirelessly over the past year caring for patients, keeping her staff safe, performing COVID-19 testing, and serving as a resource for the community. Outside of the clinic, she is focused on educating herself about COVID-19 and sharing that valuable information with her community through local business outreach, speaking engagements, and social media. She also sits on pandemic task forces at local organizations to aid in creating policies for best practices and testing, distancing, and contact tracing. She and her sons also created signs to thank Dr. Anthony Fauci, donating all the proceeds to Life Pieces to Masterpieces.
Her wisdom and grit make her an asset to her community, and we are thrilled to recognize her and pamper her with this luxurious Golden Getaway package:
- Accommodations at the AC Hotel, a European-influenced hotel creating a modern, sophisticated oasis in the heart of the Golden Triangle.
- Dinner for two at Ristorante i Ricchi, a neighborhood staple for 30+ years serving authentic Tuscan and regional Italian food and wine in an upscale, comforting environment.
- Expert hair care services at Ferro Salon, a modern, sleek salon with exceptional customer services and a reputation for their color services.
Marianne Panke serves her community every day in her role as a support group manager at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She helps care for those living with Alzheimer’s and related dementias, family caregivers, and the newly bereaved. Through Sibley/Johns Hopkins and their partnership with several DC agencies, she has been involved with vaccine clinics that have brought the COVID vaccine to the underserved in our community. During the pandemic, she also volunteered her own time to organize monthly food drives for those whose families lost income due to COVID-19, ensuring vulnerable people in her community were cared for.
We are honored to recognize Ms. Panke and her incredible actions with a true tour de Golden Triangle:
- Accommodations at Hotel Lombardy, a classic European-style experience that blends historic charm and contemporary urban sophistication with elegant accommodations and exceptional hospitality.
- Breakfast for two at ForFive Coffee, a hip café with specialty coffee and breakfast items.
- Lunch for two at Pisco y Nazca, a ceviche gastrobar serving up Peruvian dishes, unique cocktails, and a vast selection of local and international beers.
- Dinner for two at the Bombay Club, a posh, old-world dining room delivering sophisticated Indian meals.
Pat and Kassie Savoy
Pat and Kassie spearheaded the neighborhood effort to bring water and snacks to the National Guard troops stationed at the Capitol and have continued to do so since early January 2021. Every night they and their son load up a wagon of treats and head off to the Hill to hand out the refreshments. It has since grown into a neighborhood effort. We are excited to celebrate these thoughtful community members and give them their own gift package to enjoy!
They will be embarking on this fantastic Golden Triangle staycation:
- Accommodations at the St. Gregory Hotel, a boutique hotel with timeless decor and curated services perfect for the modern-day traveler.
- Dinner for two at Taberna del Alabardero, a warm, friendly, and elegant restaurant serving authentic Spanish cuisine and wines since 1989.
- Brunch for two at Immigrant Food, D.C.’s first cause-casual restaurant serving bowls and sandwiches with a diverse set of flavors.
Mr. Smith has more than 20 years of experience working as a chief engineer at Class A commercial office buildings in downtown, Washington, D.C. Throughout the trials of the past year, he has acted as a reliable source of strength for his downtown building, its tenants, and the community. During the pandemic, Shawn served on the frontlines, leading his team to safely care for all operations while ensuring that the 1,500+ population of the building felt safe whenever they came into the office. In addition to quickly adapting his day-to-day duties, he worked to enhance the property energy usage while tenant occupancy was low, implemented new health and wellness standards to keep the community safe, and extended his service and expertise to surrounding buildings during times of civil unrest.
We are thankful for Shawn and his relentless work to keep his community safe and healthy and are thrilled to share with him this grand Golden Getaway:
- Accommodations at The Mayflower Hotel, DC’s longest-operating hotel where guests enjoy personalized service, thoughtful design, and modern, creative amenities.
- Breakfast for two at Un Je Ne Sais Quoi, a gourmet pastry shop serving gorgeous, authentically French desserts made the old-fashioned way.
- Dinner for two at Morton’s Steakhouse, the upscale dining destination for aged prime beef, seafood & other traditional steakhouse fare.
Ms. Thomas works as a physical therapist assistant in a skilled nursing facility that has been hit hard by the pandemic. Despite the daily fear of getting and spreading the virus, she continued to work tirelessly doing her part to keep the most vulnerable members of the community healthy and more active. She has been a much-needed and consistent source of comfort for the nursing home residents in isolation. Just before her scheduled vaccine, she contracted COVID, and had to isolate herself from family and friends while she recovered.
We are so thankful for the selfless work Ms. Thomas does every day, and are happy to present her with a staycation gift package comprised of two Golden Triangle mainstays:
- Accommodations, dinner, and breakfast at The Hay-Adams, DC’s most iconic hotel, boasting rich history and 5-star accommodations that have earned it the recognition of the top 50 hotels in the nation on the most recent U.S. News and World Report.
- Spa services at Andre Chreky Salon, a full-service spa and salon servicing customers since 1997.