Adding remarkable beauty to the neighborhood.
The Golden Triangle BID hosts the Golden Streets competition each year for property owners to showcase flowers and plants in beautifully-designed tree box displays. As the summer heat rolls in, these special boxes enhance the neighborhood with color and creativity. Over the years, the displays have featured elaborate decorations such as wind chimes, tiered wood-crafted planters, decorative boulders, granite stones, recessed lighting, and large golden suns.
The competition encourages the buildings to bring out their best landscaping ideas. Two winners are selected: the best in sustainability and the Golden Best, each selected by a number of expert landscapers. The expert judges have included:
- Ahmed Hassan, Certified Landscaper and former HGTV Host
- Chuck Bell, NBC4 Meteorologist
- Howard Bernstein, WUSA 9 Meteorologist
- Alex Dencker, Horticulturalist, Smithsonian Institution
- Bradley Evans, Horticulturalist, U.S. National Arboretum
- Robin Nixon, Chief of Partnerships, U.S. National Park Service
- Christopher Upton, Horticulturalist, U.S. National Arboretum
Other Golden Streets Events and Activities
Area workers, local residents, and students also enjoy participating in an interactive social media scavenger hunt searching for the Golden Pineapple in a different box each day!