Apply to Grow Golden
Call for Applications
The purpose of this application process is to identify potential temporary to long-term tenants for DC’s central business district. The application period opens Tuesday, June 8, 2021, and closes at 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday, June 28, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Who Should Apply?
Grow Golden is geared towards small and local businesses in the DC area that seek both a physical storefront for their products and services and technical assistance to take their business to the next level. This program will feature entrepreneurs, makers, and creatives working in fashion, design, technology, food, retail, the arts, hospitality, fitness, health and wellness, and more.
Established small businesses in the DC area are invited to apply to join Grow Golden in an effort to enrich DC’s central business district.
Applicants must be a registered business and in operation for at least three years to qualify.
For the purposes of this application, a small business:
- Is independently owned, operated, and controlled; and
- Is certified by the United States Small Business Administration as a small business concern or meets the definition of a small business concern under the Small Business Act, approved July 18, 1958 (72 Stat. 863; 15 U.S.C. § e. SBA size standards here.
Preparing Your Submission
ALL applications must be submitted online via the Grow Golden Application no later than 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday, June 28, 2021. Submissions must include the following components:
- Application Form with Business Overview
- Business Plan (including a Financial Plan – click here for an example)
NOTE: Your business plan should reflect your general approach to the Grow Golden program and your operating plan and vision. Business plans should not be tailored for a specific space in the inventory.
- Marketing Info, including 5-10 images or product samples, a marketing strategy and/or plan, or samples of relevant marketing materials
Any questions should be submitted via email to Jeff Jamawat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection Process and Timeline
Grow Golden applications will be reviewed by a cross-organizational panel, which includes representatives from the Golden Triangle BID, Golden Triangle building owners, M&T Bank, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, DC Chamber of Commerce, and the Department of Small and Local Business Development.
Applications will be evaluated and scored in the four following categories:
- Capacity and Viability
- Impact and Innovation
- Equity and Diversity
- Overall Program Alignment
Applications are due by Monday, June 28, 2021, at 11:59 P.M. ET. Following the evaluation process, applications with the highest scores will be shared with potential properties for additional review. Businesses selected to join Grow Golden will be notified approximately six weeks after the application period closes or earlier.
Terms & Conditions
Grow Golden businesses will be paired directly with building owners offering ground floor space in the Golden Triangle. Each Golden Triangle space is unique and will only be matched with a Grow Golden business that fits the space profile.
Grow Golden businesses will explore negotiations before signing a license agreement with the building owner.
- Building owners:
- Will offer three months of no rent, with the business paying insurance and utilities, with no other CAM.
- Retain the right to reclaim their spaces for permanent users, the terms of which will be defined in the license agreement between the building owner and the business.
- May offer an extended lease option for up to an additional nine months (12 months total), with the business paying insurance and utilities, and with varying terms—such as percent of sale rents (typically 8-10 percent).
- Businesses will:
- Equip and maintain their own space. Businesses are required to complete any build-out necessary and supply their own displays, signage, furnishings, etc. (Most spaces are already built out as unfurnished retail or restaurant spaces with plumbing, electrical, heating/cooling, and access to restroom facilities.)
- Use signage that is professional in look and appearance and approved by the building owner, and in most instances, DCRA .
- Provide all required business documentation and insurances to the building owner.
- Requirements may include, but are not limited to, proof of insurances – such as liability insurance and property insurances, proof of DC business license, DC Clean Hands certification, tax documentation, and all relevant permits.
- Food establishments that sell or serve food to the public must apply for a health permit and be inspected for compliance with DC Health.
- Not be permitted to sublet, assign, or transfer space.
- Attend orientation and small business trainings arranged through Grow Golden.
Wrap-Around Technical Assistance
Strategic partners are contributing varied resources to offer wrap-around technical assistance for specific business needs. Grow Golden offers Golden Triangle businesses access to tailored coaching that supports individual business needs, as well as a comprehensive portfolio of business resources that strengthen the professional skill set.
Resources are available in varied areas, including:
- Public Relations/Marketing
- Social and Digital Media
- Scaling Up and Expanding
- Accounting and Financial Literacy
- Contracts and Certifications (CBE, 8a, etc.)
The Golden Triangle is a vibrant hub of culture and commerce where small, local businesses can thrive. Click here to view available spaces in Golden Triangle.